Potato Pave & Caviar
Play by Play:
- Peel russet potatoes and mandolin them at the thinnest setting.
- Mix the sliced potatoes in duck fat or clarified butter, salt, pepper & a few sprigs of thyme.
- Line a small, ideally rectangular or square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Stack the potatoes on top of each other pushing down on each layer so it’s packed.
- Cover and bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours.
- Take out of the oven and add cans or tins on top to further push down the layers. If you have two of the same baking dishes you can stack them on top of each other and add the cans on top.
- With the cans on top, place in the fridge over night.
- Next day cut the potato stack in cubes, cutting the edges to make a straight line. Slowly heat the oil on medium low heat and test the temperature with the trimmings of the potatoes. It should crisp but not burn right away. You can freeze the potatoes and fry them when you’re ready too.
- Finish with a dollop of creme fraiche & CYK Golden Ossetra Caviar!