Italian Meatball & Greens Soup
Inspired by the classic Italian Wedding Soup… but quite different…
Play by Play:
1. Sauté olive oil, 1 big yellow onion, garlic cloves (or I used frozen garlic) salt & pepper
2. Add 1 big zucchini + 1 big bunch on basil and sauté + spinach (or any other greens you like)
3. Add stock - I love to use homemade but I didn’t have any so I got a high quality veggie broth (only veg no additives). You can also use chicken stock. Pour in and let it come to a boil on med high heat.
4. Add more chopped basil and oregano to the broth and a squeeze or two of lemon. I also added a sprinkle of turmeric. Taste it to see what else the broth might need - salt? pepper? herbs? #TYP
5. Simultaneously make your meatballs - mix grass fed beef (can use turkey or veal too) half a yellow onion diced, 1 egg, a handful of breadcrumbs, dried basil, oregano, & parsley, garlic powder,
chili flakes, salt and pepper. Shape into balls and set aside.
6. You can blend part of the soup before adding the meatballs. It’s not necessary but I think it was great and easy if you have an immersion blender.
7. Add meatballs to soup while it’s boiling hot for about 5-7 minutes until the meatballs rise to the top. If you get some fat on top just use a hand strainer to take some of it out.
8. Toast some baguette with olive oil and parm and enjoy !